The outbuildings, which date from 1863, were built for M. Violet, a public works contractor. They were enlarged by Comte Nissim de Camondo, and subsequently transformed on the inside by Moïse.

The buildings stand on either side of the entrance porch on rue de Monceau. The garage in the left wing, recently restored as a venue for special events, can be accessed directly from the street, through a large gate. A sliding door opens onto a courtyard that was originally partially glassed-in, where the cars could be washed and serviced.

The repair workshop was in the basement, and the chauffeur-mechanics’ apartments were upstairs.

Moïse de Camondo was fascinated by technology and mechanics. He had a passion for motor cars and was a great traveler with a love of speed. When he moved into rue de Monceau in 1914, he put five cars in the garage: a Renault landaulet and limousine, a coupé and a Panhard Double Phaeton and limousine. The stables, in the right wing, used to accommodate nine horses. The ceiling – a metal structure with small brick vaults – and the wood paneling and ceramic tiles on the walls have been preserved.

On the other side of the stables is a glassed-in courtyard which used to be a grooming room; it connects with the covered passageway under the Great Staircase in the mansion. Vehicles entered through the archway to the right of the facade and exited via a private driveway leading to the Boulevard Malesherbes. Guests were thus sheltered from the elements when alighting from their cars to enter the Hall.

These areas are not accessible to visitors.

Les Arts Décoratifs, 107, rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris
tél. : +33 (0)1 44 55 57 50